I’m sitting at my dest, hungry, wishing I could have a delicious lunch that won’t put me to sleep. I turn to my trusty Fresh & Co and order a burrito quinoa bowl. Grilled corn, tomatoes, red beans, kale, adobe chicken, chipotle vinaigrette, topped with scallions, cilantro, and tortilla strips, winning! Excited as ever, I’m standing in line, watching them sauté my veggies, and I think to myself…I could make that! Okay, I didn’t make it exactly, but it was definitely the inspiration!
Here’s what I did:
- 1.5 C quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3/4 C sweet corn kernels, off the cob or frozen
- A few large handfuls of kale
- 1/4 C lemon tahini dressing, or Goddess Dressing
- 4-6 oz salmon or chicken
- Start boiling your quinoa in water.
- Sauté your bell pepper, onion, and corn. This inspiration came from Pinch of Yum’s fish taco recipe. Stir wait stir wait. I like it blackened and crispy.
- Add the kale and stir a few more minutes.
- Build your bowl: quinoa, topped with veggies, topped with Lemon Tahini dressing.
- Optional: top with meat. I used salmon for dinner and rotisserie chicken for leftover lunch.
For the dressing on top, I use Goddess Dressing, made by Annie’s or at Trader Joes. The Glowing Fridge has a great goddess dressing recipe (and also a delicious similar quinoa bowl recipe). You may want to eat this as is (nomnom), but I wanted some meat on top. For dinner, I quickly seared a small piece of salmon sprinkled with S&P on medium-high heat for two minutes per side. I made enough for leftover lunch the next day and used rotisserie chicken on the leftovers instead of salmon.